Re: Dell Further Promote Linux

__/ [ John Bailo ] on Sunday 12 March 2006 08:17 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>

>> If you now go to Dell's main page and then follow through to the "desktop"
>> section you will find:
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Dell Open Source Desktops
>
> There is a link at the bottom of the general Desktop page that is "Open
> Source Desktops" as you say.
>
> This is where it takes you:

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/e510_nseries?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs

__/ [ John Bailo ] addedon Sunday 12 March 2006 08:19 \__

http://www1.us.dell.com/content/topics/global.aspx/alliances/en/linux?c=us&cs=555&l=en&s=biz

> One thing they should do in the Configuration page is offer some high end
> distros as an OS choice.
>
> Right now the only option is "Free DOS" that comes with the Open Source
> desktops.

John, I am not sure we are talking about the same page. Dell are delivering
different pages to different regions and they still experiment. For a moment
there, they actually had the nSeries in the 'front windows'. That's just one
page away from the store's main page, so prospective customers are _one
click away_.

Oh, gosh. Look what I've just found. They are making changes over the
weekend. Changes are probably made we speak because I see changes all the
time. Here's a screenshot:

http://www.schestowitz.com/temp/screenshots/dell-gives-choice.jpg

I did not even follow a Linux or Open Source route. I simply 'wanted' to buy
a standard desktop workstation, and that's the screen I was presented with
as step 1. I swear!