Re: Open Source collaboration tool / wiki with upload functionality

  • Subject: Re: Open Source collaboration tool / wiki with upload functionality
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2006 13:04:19 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
__/ [ wolfchri@xxxxxxxxx ] on Sunday 12 March 2006 11:06 \__

> Hello Folks,
>
> I am looking for a FOSS based wiki software such as Mediawiki or
> Moinmoin with an upload / file management ability. That means we want
> to upload files 8especially PDF) directly into the wiki page. The file
> should preferably be displayed with an icon that reflects its type (PDF
> icon for example).
>
> Is there a wiki software out there (preferably in the Ubuntu
> repositories) that matches this criteria? I have tried a lot of wiki
> software but none of them had this general upload / file storage
> functionality.
>
> (I also looked for better suitable newsgroups on this topic but did not
> find any - if you know it better, please let me know)
>
> Thank you very much in advance!

Does  it  have to be Wiki software, strictly? There are software  packages
that act as a shared filestore where you upload files and all participants
can then view them by clicking on icons in a tree hierarchy. It's virtual-
ly  like an Apache directory listing, only much fancier with plenty of ex-
tra options including uploads.

Hope it helps,

Roy

PS  - I am familiar with a variety of Wiki packages (both as user and  ad-
ministrator)  and  Mediawiki is probably the closest you can get  to  your
goal. Otherwise, consider WordPress as a a Wiki alternative where partici-
pants  can all edit the pages. It's not a proper Wiki, but it's close  and
it has some extra functionality.

--
Roy S. Schestowitz
  1:00pm  up 4 days  5:37,  8 users,  load average: 0.62, 0.65, 0.60