Re: How should we live?

__/ [ Peter H.M. Brooks ] on Sunday 12 March 2006 23:46 \__

> David Smith wrote:
>> Philosophers often discuss how we should conduct our lives. On the one
>> hand we can seek happiness, self-fulfilment, friendship etc. -- a good
>> life in personal terms. On the other, we can try to act unselfishly,
>> according to the dictates of  some demanding, impersonal morality such
>> as utilitarianism. Can the two ways of living be reconciled?
>
> Completely. Acting unselfishly leads directly to the rest. At least
> usually - the parable of Job explores what happens when it doesn't.

This isn't a truthful statement to anybody, unfortunately. Some people take
joy in exploitation of a society which once betrayed them. For others,
giving as much as possible to society is a safe path to happiness,
self-fulfilment, and friendship.