Re: System upgrades

__/ [ Peter Köhlmann ] on Wednesday 15 March 2006 17:42 \__

> Erik Funkenbusch wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 15:57:21 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> Windows  goes by the assumption (as well as idealogy) that it should be
>>> a stripped-down, lightweight O/S that updates its narrow trunk every now
>>> and
>>> then.  Thus,  it assumes that IE, OE, notepad, paint and the like are
>>> all
>>> the  components one ever wishes to have updated. You cannot describe
>>> this as surprising because more prominent revenue streams (Office,
>>> premium edi-
>>> tions,  development  tools, etc.) are a form of 'enhancement' of the
>>> O/S,
>>> which  in some cases was intentionally made crippled (Starter Edition,
>>> no spellchecker and so forth).
>>
>> You're a littie out of date.  Microsoft updated Microsoft Update to now
>> include most of it's applications, including Office, Visual Studio, etc..
>> This happened almost a year ago.
>>

> BFD
>
>> Of course it won't update their party applications, but then I wouldn't
>> want it to.  Most vendors already include some kind of update facility.
>
> You naturally "don't want to". As it is not available. Not at any price.

Sour grapes.

> So you instead claim that it is just fine to hunt down manually all those
> updates. Takes far less work than in linux, I guess.

I love the way YaST handles updates. I have not used other package management
systems quite as much, but I wish everyone was shown a demonstration of how
compressive Linux updates can be.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Microsof(fshore)t Window(ntime)s Vista(gnating)
http://Schestowitz.com  |    SuSE Linux    ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
  5:55pm  up 7 days 10:32,  8 users,  load average: 0.59, 0.45, 0.38