Re: System upgrades

Roy Schestowitz enlightened us with this load of crap:

> I love the way YaST handles updates. I have not used other package
> management systems quite as much, but I wish everyone was shown a
> demonstration of how compressive Linux updates can be.

YaST Online Update (YOU) is pretty cool, if you like your system
automaticaly updated for you, but I believe that's still just bug fixes,
errata, and security updates. It won't upgrade KDE for you, for instance. I
think you can in normal YaST, but it's nowhere near as nice as
Synaptic/Apt.

In Synaptic, you click 'Reload' followed by 'Mark All Upgrades', and finally
'Apply'.  KDE, Gnome, Xorg, OpenOffice, and everything are upgraded to the
newest version in your repositories. Not only that, you have an option of
doing a normal upgrade, or a 'smart' upgrade, where it'll prevent an
upgrade of any package that other packages are compiled against and
therefore breaking other currently installed packages. It's really the best
system I've seen so far. I've used many package managers, including URPMI,
Smart, and YaST and I find Synaptic/Apt to be peerless.