Re: Vista Could Become Last O/S from Microsoft, Implies Gates

__/ [ Aragorn ] on Thursday 16 March 2006 00:25 \__

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060314/BIZ04/603140305/1013

> Actually, according to Personal Computer Magazine, Microsoft is already
> making plans for Vista's successor - codenamed "DarkStar" or something
> - which will be a total rewrite of the operating system, whereas Vista
> isn't...
>
> I guess that "DarkStar" will be the codename for what's currently called
> Singularity, once it goes into the alpha stages... ;-)

That's what I thought, as well. Some people have argued that Singularity is
intended merely for research -- a test-of-hypothesis for future ideas.
Singularity is developed with tight comparison to BSD and Linux in mind.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Murphy/index.php?p=459

,----[ Quote ]
| "What's noteworthy about it is that Microsoft compared Singularity to
| FreeBSD and Linux as well as Windows/XP - and almost every result shows
| Windows losing to the two Unix variants. For example, they show the
| number of CPU cycles needed to 'create and start a process' as
| 1,032,000 for FreeBSD, 719,000 for Linux, and 5,376,000 for Windows/XP."
`----

By the time Singularity is a fully-cooked O/S, it will have been too late.
Not only will there be a stronger platform in existence, but it will also be
free and Open.

So I worry not.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Free 3-D Reversi: http://othellomaster.com
  6:50am  up 7 days 23:27,  7 users,  load average: 0.91, 0.42, 0.47