Re: Gates Mocks $100 Linux Laptop

  • Subject: Re: Gates Mocks $100 Linux Laptop
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 17:33:30 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ Larry Qualig ] on Thursday 16 March 2006 17:17 \__

> Edwin wrote:
>> John Bailo wrote:

>> > I have a 1G Sandisk Sansa m240 mp3 player that runs for 20 hours on a
>> > single AAA battery.   It has a 1 x 0.5 inch screen that displays a menu,
>> > and the song, artist, album.  It has a blue light.   Obviously there is
>> > some type of low level processor and audio chip to put the music out.
>> >
>> > So, how much more of a leap is it to turn that into a PC?
>>
>> The real leap would be demonstrating how these cheap PCs will have any
>> positive impact on the lives of the people they're given to.
>>
>> Put yourself in their place:    you live in a house with no running
>> water or electricity.   Somebody gives you a cheap laptop computer with
>> an LCD screen, but you have no phone line to connect it to.    You
>> don't even know anybody who has made a phone call within their
>> lifetime.
>>
>> What will you use your new computer for?    How would it change your
>> life?    Wouldn't you rather they just gave you $100?   Or the medicine
>> for your malaria-racked body?   Or the food for your starving family?
>
> I never thought of it that way. It would also be interesting to know
> what the literacy rate is in these countries. But otherwise, if
> you're sick and starving somewhere in a desert getting a computer
> with a compiler, an Office suite and media players isn't nearly as
> useful as food and medicine.

I suppose you meant "office suite", as opposed to "Office suite". The last
thing they need is Windows XP. They could probably use an anti-virus though.
Helping children in Africa by introducing yet another source of visuses
seems irrational.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Pentiums melt in your PC, not in your hand"
  5:30pm  up 8 days 10:07,  7 users,  load average: 1.34, 0.95, 0.48