Re: Gates Mocks $100 Linux Laptop

  • Subject: Re: Gates Mocks $100 Linux Laptop
  • From: "Edwin" <thorne25@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 16 Mar 2006 10:19:34 -0800
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> __/ [ Larry Qualig ] on Thursday 16 March 2006 17:17 \__
>
> > Edwin wrote:

> >> The real leap would be demonstrating how these cheap PCs will have any
> >> positive impact on the lives of the people they're given to.
> >>
> >> Put yourself in their place:    you live in a house with no running
> >> water or electricity.   Somebody gives you a cheap laptop computer with
> >> an LCD screen, but you have no phone line to connect it to.    You
> >> don't even know anybody who has made a phone call within their
> >> lifetime.
> >>
> >> What will you use your new computer for?    How would it change your
> >> life?    Wouldn't you rather they just gave you $100?   Or the medicine
> >> for your malaria-racked body?   Or the food for your starving family?
> >
> > I never thought of it that way. It would also be interesting to know
> > what the literacy rate is in these countries. But otherwise, if
> > you're sick and starving somewhere in a desert getting a computer
> > with a compiler, an Office suite and media players isn't nearly as
> > useful as food and medicine.
>
> I suppose you meant "office suite", as opposed to "Office suite". The last
> thing they need is Windows XP. They could probably use an anti-virus though.
> Helping children in Africa by introducing yet another source of visuses
> seems irrational.

It it just goes to show you're too rich, fat, and pampered to epitomize
with the poor and the destitute.    Go to a place that's lucky to have
a community well, where the pigs and goats are roaming the unpaved
streets, and try to impress the locals with the horrors of Windows XP.
 See how long it takes before you become their village idiot.