Re: Critical Linux kernel 2.4 bug

  • Subject: Re: Critical Linux kernel 2.4 bug
  • From: Kelsey Bjarnason <kbjarnason@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2006 11:04:35 -0800
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
[snips]

On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 18:45:41 +0000, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

>> Hmm.  "How to convert your 100 megahertz box to 100 petahertz in five
>> easy steps.  Send $19.95 for free plans."  :)
>
> Or "how to burn a house down". Overclock, combust (I head of such a story in
> the search engines newsgroup lat week), then collect insurance money.

Yeah, right.

When overclocking, the part that tends to heat up the most is the CPU -
and if it's throwing enough heat to burn down your house, it will _long_
have burnt itself to a nice, well-charred, non-functioning pile of slag,
thus making the entire thing an entirely self-limiting issue.

The power supply is somewhat more likely to cause this sort of thing, but,
frankly, if you're pulling enough juice through it to make it run
*anywhere* near that hot, or indeed anything beyond mildly warm, the issue
isn't overclocking, but trying to pull too many watts out of the supply.