Re: PLAYSTATION 3 to Arrive in Early November 2006 with Linux

__/ [ Au79 ] on Sunday 19 March 2006 05:52 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> __/ [ Au79 ] on Saturday 18 March 2006 23:38 \__
>>
>>> LinuxElectrons - Cedar Park,TX,USA
>>>
>>> ... Ken Kutaragi, the head Sony's video games division, also said that
>>> that the PS3 will require a hard drive, which will have a 60 GB capacity
>>> and run Linux. ...
>>>
>>> <http://www.linuxelectrons.com/article.php/2006031511012712>
>>
>> I thought it was truly excellent that the hard-drive was made a
>> requirement. There were rumours before, but more official statements
>> spread around the weekend.
>>
>> The hard-drive used to be perceived as an add-on peripheral that would run
>> Linux. Sony could not use their direct competitor's operating system, so
>> about 4 months ago, words began to circulate that the accompanying
>> hard-drive will bring Linux to many homes. In Sony's agenda, Linux
>> penetration has its benefits because it weakens the XBox series rather
>> indirectly.
>
> Also, Playstation has always been more successful in the gaming market than
> MS, which sells every xbox unit at a loss.

Good  point.  It's a strategic choice, which _not_ anyone can afford.  Had
lockins not been indirectly involved, I wouldn't have minded at all.

On  the contrary, one could argue, that any boost to gaming consoles makes
games  less  dependent on a particular operating system. This raises  con-
cerns  and begs for the question: what have Microsoft got concealed deeper
in their sleeve? I guess that regardless of the existence of XBox /et al/,
the  Playstation was bound to prevail. So income might as well be collect-
ed.  Same situation with iTunes/iPod/Apple Music Shop, which Microsoft at-
tempt  to extinguish using an alliance with MTV and some irrelevant Justin
Timerlake appearance.

Returning to topic, the impact of DirectX is yet to be seen. OpenGL is pe-
nalised  in  Windows Vista already (performance degradation due  to  wrap-
pers).  This  ought to encourage more developers to opt out of  interoper-
ability (e.g. Nintendo, Playstation, even Linux and OS X).

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    while (sig==sig) sig=!sig;
  6:50am  up 10 days 23:27,  10 users,  load average: 0.61, 0.67, 0.72