Re: Knoppix live CD and Internet

  • Subject: Re: Knoppix live CD and Internet
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2006 05:34:24 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.misc
__/ [ zxcvbnm2bg ] on Sunday 19 March 2006 03:55 \__

> Greetings! I have a Knoppix live CD. I have not yet installed the
> Knoppix at hard drive. [Actually I have not figured it how to do this]
> Can I go to Internet through this live CD? I have wireless DSL? With
> thanks.

My experience with Live CD's suggests that hardware detection *might* be
lacking, whereas a physical installation on the hard-drive gives you some
more flexibility. It buys you time and space to install necessary drivers,
which you might /sometimes/ need to download off the Web or get with the
latest patches.

If all goes well, however, your Knoppix Live CD will recognise the DSL, fetch
the IP addresses off the network (router, DHCP server) and just 'magically'
allow you to connect. In less ideal circumstances, you might need to enter
some network addresses manually. Either way, failure with the Live CD should
not affect hopes of an immaculate physical installation on the hard-drive.

Good luck,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Coffee makes mw to0 jittery
http://Schestowitz.com  |    SuSE Linux    ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
  5:25am  up 10 days 22:02,  9 users,  load average: 0.87, 0.96, 1.00