Re: Linux with Stronger 64-bit Support

__/ [ M ] on Sunday 19 March 2006 10:39 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> __/ [ Nick Ballard ] on Sunday 19 March 2006 09:09 \__

>>> So now it's up to about 3/4 the speed of Ubuntu or Slackware?
>>
>> Don't neglect the added value of a heavier install base. I agree that
>> Ubuntu and Slackware have got Red Hat in their little pocket for
>> performance. Then again, you don't compare like with the like.
>>
>> Fedora Core 5 screenshot were put up last night:
>>
>> http://shots.osdir.com/slideshows/slideshow.php?release=596&slide=57
>
> When I tried to install Core 4, the installer got as far as the partition
> screen then collapsed in a big heap. Micromart (magazine) have also done a
> comparison review of several distributions (not terrible good I'm afraid).
> The reviewer says that he installed Core 4, did all the online updates, and
> found that the system would not boot. Oooops!
>
> The installer looks good in the screen shots, so I hope Fedora is
> improving, and more people will actually be able to use it.

Somebody in a different NG recently said it was rubbish. The Computer Science
department which I am affiliated with chose Fedora some years ago. However,
they were reluctant to update to some of the latest "because it was too
buggy". I recommended SuSE when there was a vote.

Something tells me that other distributions from Red Hat would have worked
better. So I hear. I am merely a courier here. I rarely use Fedora. Only a
FEW TIMES A week over SSH. No problems /there/.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Anonymity - established 2001, Google Groups
http://Schestowitz.com  |    SuSE Linux    ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
 10:40am  up 11 days  3:17,  10 users,  load average: 0.35, 0.58, 0.71