Re: [Article] Google ordered to hand over data

__/ [ Paul B ] on Sunday 19 March 2006 20:28 \__

> From http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/4821858.stm
>
> A federal judge has ordered internet search engine Google to turn over
> some search data, including 50,000 web addresses, to the US
> government.
> However, Judge James Ware denied a request that Google hand over a
> list of people's search requests.
>
> [...]

Web /addresses/?!?!?! I thought it was originally intended to be a dataset of
aggregated numbers for SERP's. I think the DoJ is pushing this a little too
far. They practically track *people* now. Today it's pedophiles (for whom I
could not care less), but tomorrow it may be anything that the government
frowns upon. The Chinese could request IP's of people who search for
'democracy' and then take them to the back, if you know what I mean...

When I come to think of it, Google would breaking their explicit agreement
with the cutomer had they lost. This must the a reason for their rigorous
fight in court. At worst of scenarios they could tell the cutomer "we did
the best we could" and more people would start using Scroogle, whose logs
get flushed every 48 hours.