Re: Mozilla Lightning Screenshots

  • Subject: Re: Mozilla Lightning Screenshots
  • From: "Larry Qualig" <lqualig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 24 Mar 2006 07:34:50 -0800
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> Calendaring from Mozilla. Not third parties and no Sunbird. Outlook becomes
> even more obsolete (setting aside Evolution and KOrganiser).
>
> http://shots.osdir.com/slideshows/slideshow.php?release=599&slide=23

--> Outlook becomes even more obsolete

This statement becomes really funny if you look at it from the other
side. That is, pretend that Mozilla Lightning
has been out and in use for 10 years and the Microsoft announced a
Calendaring tool. I suppose the response would be like this:

General description:
Vaporware. Microsoft announces something that isn't even a finished
product yet.

PDA Synchronization:
Instead of "it's being worked on" it would be described as "not even
started." It will take years before Outlook is as mature and reliable
as what Lightning has.

Integration:
What a joke. It's basically a stand-alone product that isn't integrated
with anything yet. Lightning has spent 10 years being integrated with
various 3rd party apps and utilities.

Client-side vs Client-server:
Typical brain-dead design. Perhaps "good enough" for small groups but
not a scalable design.

Known Bugs:
Of course Lightning has bugs. That's because it's in the field being
used by millions of people. With this new vaporware Outlook product
you're only looking at the "glossy brochure" and seeing the glitz.
Release this and then you'll see the bugs crawl out. (Being a new
immature product there are sure to be many.)

Timing:
Outlook is a day late and a nickel short. Lightning is a mature product
that's been used by millions for the last decade.

Of course this is *not* how things are. But it's amusing neverless to
see how a incomplete and yet to be released product is automatically
assumed to be so good that it will make "Outlook even more obsolete."
Because if the shoe were on the other foot, you would be laughing your
ass off at Outlook.