Re: Ballmer's Latest FUD

__/ [ John Bailo ] on Monday 27 March 2006 18:39 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | For its part Forbes was not so alarmist. Its headline calls Ballmer
>> | "bemused." For me, the key quote came when Ballmer attacked IBM and
>> | its support of the operating system:
>> |
>> |       "They promote Linux, but if there's a bug in Linux, IBM is not
>> |       the responsible party to fix that. It's whoever in the community."
>> |
>> | That's pure FUD. Of course if you have an IBM contract, IBM is going to
>> | take responsibility for making things right.
>
> So, if a customer finds a Linux kernel bug IBM is guaranteeing that its
> own programmers will fix it?

It will be in IBM's interest to have it fixed. If money is needed, rest
assured that IBM will supply it. The kernel is worked on at the Open Source
Development Labs, which are funded by IBM, among others. Contributions are
being made by many others (such as Novell), who will also have incentive
(and monetary resource) to create the necessary patch.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Gas, brake, honk! Honk, honk, punch! Gas, gas!
http://Schestowitz.com  |    SuSE Linux    ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
  6:40pm  up 19 days  8:25,  9 users,  load average: 1.67, 1.25, 1.12