Re: Unable to download linux version of flash

  • Subject: Re: Unable to download linux version of flash
  • From: "Grug" <grug2005@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 30 Mar 2006 23:42:34 -0800
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> __/ [ Mark Kent ] on Friday 31 March 2006 07:35 \__
>
> > begin  oe_protect.scr
> > Lobo <not@xxxxxxxx> espoused:

> >> Opps... that s/b flash 7 and 6 respectively
> >>

> > So, where's our open flash player?
>
> Excellent question.
>
> Open Source DRM is in the making/proposal; we already have an Open Source PDF
> reader; there are even mechanisms (codebase) to penetrate Microsoft Office
> filetypes (incorporated into KOffice, StarOffice, AbiWord, OOo...).
>
> I am aware that Microsoft will introduce Sparkle, which is intended to be a
> Flash-killer.

Actually WPF/e is intended to compete with Flash.  The designer for WPF
(Windows Presentation Foundation) will output XAML that will also work
with WPF/e.  (Or so the plan is).

WPF is for Windows applications and WPF/e is for the browser.  You can
target both with the designer.

> They probably have much bigger trouble at the moment, so they
> halted work on their so-called 'Photoshop Killer', as well as other
> projects. They are throwing many developers at the pig and IE7 ATM.

MS realized their mistake in delaying work on IE7.  They have responded
to the renewed competition.  IE7 is simply met to even the playing
field, IE8 and IE9 in the works will be the true test.

> Even
> Office and Server seem neglected.

Seem?  Have you *seen* Office 2007 beta?  It is incredible and will
make Open Office look like, well, open source stuff (buggy, bloated,
etc.)

?

> It is a bad sign when a fleet of boat has got
> troopers jumping from one deck to another. Business strategy is being
> compromised for the sake of survival.

Ummm OK.  You do know that MS had one of their best ever quarters last
quarter, right?  I doubt their 'business strategy is being
compromised'.

As for Windows Server, the server division did very well also.

> Best wishes,
>
> Roy

Maybe you should get your 'facts' a little bit more in order next time
Roy.  :)