Re: Using KNode 0.7.2, Wondering What Else is Out There

On 2006-03-31, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> __/ [ Blinky the Shark ] on Thursday 30 March 2006 23:13 \__
>
>> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> The command line scares me due to usability matters. I find it hard to be-
>>> lieve  that effective interaction can be achieved without pointing devices
>>> and  'modifiability'. To me, CLI-based readers remain off bounds. The only
>>
>> You're assuming a connection that's just not there, Roy.  There's nothing
>> about CLI-based readers that makes them not modifiable. I doubt that you
>> could find any readers more modifiable than slrn and Gnus and probably tin.
>> You can make extremely modifiable text-based clients; if one isn't, then
>> that's simply a design choice, not a limitation of CLI.
>
> What crops to mind are:
>
> * Grip on 'motion granularity', e.g. mouse scrolling, which PageUp and PageDn
> cannot achieve quite so well.

<chuckle> you need to expand your horizons, grasshopper:

.-----[ from slrn 'help' ]
| Moving in the article pager:
|
|   ESC DOWN           Scroll article down one line.
|   ESC UP             Scroll article up one line.
|   SPACE              Scroll article down one page (or select next, if at end).
|   DELETE, b          Scroll article up one page.
|   >                  Move to end of the article.
|   <                  Move to beginning of the article.
|   LEFT               Pan article to the left.
|   RIGHT              Pan article to the right.
|   /                  Search forward in the article.
|   TAB                Skip beyond quoted text.
|   g                  Skip to next digest.
'-----

(there is of course much, much, more; and all key-bindings are customisable).

> * Highlighting of text that exceeds a screen-full.

To do what?

> * Breakdown into multiple windows, possibly assigning each to a separate
> virtual desktop

Knode is I think unique among news-readers in being a three-paner whose
panes can be given their own 'windows' - but the only reason I could think
of to do that, was to overcome the inherent waste of space involved in
being a three-paner; and other three-paners can 'hide' panes selectively
anyway.  (slrn and Gnus and tin are 'two-paners' - and can be one-paners
at the press of a key - at least, I know that slrn can be).

> * Among more...
>
> You will find it rather hard to convince me otherwise.
>
> With kind regards,
>
> Roy

You have to convince yourself; no-one can do it for you  ;))

--
--  Whiskers