Re: [News] Vista 'Feature' Makes Dual-Boot Much Harder

  • Subject: Re: [News] Vista 'Feature' Makes Dual-Boot Much Harder
  • From: Rich Gibbs <richg74@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 02 May 2006 18:25:39 -0400
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz said the following, on 04/28/06 05:29:
BitLocker gives dual-boot systems the elbow

,----[ Quote ]
| Infosec Security features introduced in Windows Vista will make setting
| up PCs to boot in either Linux or Windows far more difficult, according
| to security guru Bruce Schneier. Vista is due to feature hardware-based
| encryption, called BitLocker Drive Encryption, which acts as a repository
| to protect sensitive data in the event of a PC being either lost or
| stolen.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/04/27/schneier_infosec/

Bruce Schneier has a recent entry on his blog about this:http <http://www.schneier.com/blog/archives/2006/05/bitlocker.html>

Here's what he says about the dual-boot issue:

So, does this destroy dual-boot systems? Not really.
If you have Vista running, then set up a dual boot system,
Bitlocker will consider this sort of change to be an
attack and refuse to run. But then you can use the recovery
key to boot into Windows, then tell BitLocker to take the
current configuration -- with the dual boot code --
as correct. After that, your dual boot system will work
just fine, or so I've been told. You still won't be able to
share any files on your C drive between operating systems,
but you will be able to share files on any other drive.

Not being able to share files on C: is something of a nuisance, but probably not an insurmountable one.

As most of you know, I am not a big fan of Windows or Microsoft, but I think in this case the Reg has overcooked things a bit. Schneier's whole post is worth reading; it is a clearer explanation of what BitLocker does than any other I've come across.

--
Rich Gibbs
richg74@xxxxxxxxx