Re: California Sues Microsoft for Monopoly Acts, Settles for MS Coupons

  • Subject: Re: California Sues Microsoft for Monopoly Acts, Settles for MS Coupons
  • From: "Larry Qualig" <lqualig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 3 May 2006 09:48:35 -0700
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> Government entities will be able to obtain cash refunds for hardware and
> software purchases.
>
> Microsoft Settles Antitrust Suit in California
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Microsoft yesterday reached a tentative $70 million deal to settle
> | a California class-action antitrust lawsuit, according to a
> | statement by the law firm representing the plaintiffs in the suit.
> |
> | The suit, filed by San Francisco law firm Townsend and Townsend and Crew
> | in August 2004, was one of dozens of private antitrust suits brought
> | against Microsoft in the wake of the U.S.
> |
> | The suit was filed on behalf of government entities in the California
> | cities of San Francisco and Los Angeles, and counties of Santa Clara,
> | San Mateo, Los Angeles and Contra Costa. The plaintiffs charged
> | Microsoft with anticompetitive conduct, accusing the vendor of using
> | its market position to overcharge for software.
> `----
>
>         http://news.yahoo.com/s/pcworld/20060503/tc_pcworld/125620

So MS has to pay the entire state of California $70 million and they
can do it on the form of coupons and vouchers?  I think the proverbial
"slap on the wrist" would hurt more.

I once received a voucher from a class action suit against the airlines
(aprox. in the early 1990's). The vouchers were useless. I could get XX
off airfare but I couldn't combine this with any other offer. In
essense if I paid "full price" for an airline ticket (which I never do
for personal use) I could redeem my voucher. If the vouchers were such
a great deal for the consumers I wonder if the lawyers received their
payment in the form of vouchers?