Re: Making the jump back to palm devices

__/ [ "Matt Anderson" ] on Friday 05 May 2006 02:11 \__

>> __/ [ "Matt Anderson" ] on Thursday 04 May 2006 00:44 \__
>>
>>> Thus, My Dell Axim with lot's of extra's is for sale on e-bay.
>>>
>>> http://cm.ebay<snip>
>>>
>>> Check it out if you are interested in the Windows Mobile world.
>>
>> Advertisements on UseNet are adverse to Netiquette or at least frowned
>> upon.
>> To jump on topic, may I ask what you disliked about the Axim? Which Palm
>> model will you go for? Palm OS is being replaced by a renovated Linux
>> port...
>>
>> Best wishes,
>>
>> Roy
>>
>> --
>> Roy S. Schestowitz
>> http://Schestowitz.com  |     GNU/Linux     ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
>>  8:10am  up 6 days 15:07,  13 users,  load average: 0.47, 0.46, 0.71
>>      http://iuron.com - next generation of search paradigms
>
> My apologies!  I've seen other such ads and thus went ahead and did it.
> It's been a LONG time since I've been involved in any newsgroups.

I guess the precedence has a detrimental effect. *smile* I can recall the
days when some newsgroups were infested with pointers to eBay auctions, as
though no-one who seeks a handheld can enter the (on-line) shop and tailor
results based on query/criteria.

> That said, Stability.  Speed.  and the number 1 reason....
> DateBk5 (and now 6 beta).  I LOVE that program and have not found anything
> in the windows world that truly is as good, for me.

I know *exactly* what you mean. My daily use involves DateBook and often I
just pull the device for 5-10 seconds. I need speed and reliability, which
Palm OS and SuSE give me. No hassle. No brightly-lit screen eating the
battery away and making me wait, and wait, and wait... additionally,
keyboard-only navigation. Try it. You can do everything apart from adding
new entries with a single hand, at least on the Tungsten. Other devices
(Windows Mobile included) lack the realisation of this. Not too sure about
the Blackberry... or the Nokia 770, which does not have PIM, yet.

> Even my OLD Palm devices are faster and better.  I just got the Clie UX-50
> which in both form factor and performance is perfect for my needs.
>
> Yes, I know, Sony has pretty much abandoned the Clie's.  That is why, if my
> Axim sells, I will be getting either a T|X or a lifedrive.  I figure either
> of those would be upgradeable to the new PalmOS.

I suspect it /might/, but I wouldn't count on it. Either way, Palm atop Linux
does not necessarily mean better GNU/Linux conduits. All is fine at present.

> And, one other factor, I hate running Microsoft Windows on my laptop (I am
> right now) and much prefer running either Linux or FreeBSD and can sync
> palm devices fairly easily with either of those.

I got nothing but trouble when using Palm Desktop (Windows 98) for 3+ years.
Be careful of kpilot, which has poor handling of edge cases. gpilot with
Evolution /might/ be a safer choice for your needs. Try Ubuntu. You can
synchronise with the Live CD to have it tested. Been there, done that.

        https://shipit.ubuntu.com/

Creating a partition for Ubuntu (e.g. on your laptop):

http://easylinux.wordpress.com/2006/04/30/ubuntu-dapper-drake-beta-installation-from-live-cd/

With kind regards,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: Sharks are immune to cancer
  6:15am  up 7 days 13:12,  15 users,  load average: 0.38, 0.91, 0.85