Re: [News] Canada's Linux Discrimination

  • Subject: Re: [News] Canada's Linux Discrimination
  • From: Bobbie <bobbie4(remove-this)@shaw.ca>
  • Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 08:29:15 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
While performing an interpretive dance to Enya's Carribean Blue, Roy
Schestowitz exclaimed:

> ,----[ Quuote ]
> | In 2006, Canadians can fill out their census forms online for the first
> | time -- but not if they use GNU/Linux, or are free software advocates
> | who prefer not to install a proprietary version of Java.
> `----
>
> http://trends.newsforge.com/trends/06/05/04/233250.shtml?tid=136&tid=2&tid=132

I tried to access the online census on Tuesday but I was given instead:

Quoted from page
http://www50.statcan.ca/census2006/webvalidationprocess/seal-01-browser_e.htm

Begin quote

"Your browser does not meet the minimum requirements to access this site

The current version of browser you are using is not supported by this site.

To download a supported version of browser, please refer to: To download
the required software. If you do not wish to download a new browser, you
can complete your paper questionnaire and return it by mail in the
envelope provided."
End quote.

So I sent them a missive. I hope to hear their explanation as to why
my bank account with TD Canada Trust is accessible on line using my
'Non-supported' browser but the census isn't. What could possibly be more
at risk? The census or a financial institution. If the financial
institution feels safe using 128 bit encryption over a HTTPS
connection why doesn't the census?
Come to think of it BC Hydro, Telus Mobility, Shaw Inc., Canada Student
Loans and Revenue Canada also allow access to my accounts using my browser.

This definitely has to be the work of some swag hoggin' MCSE IT
'Security Expert'

If I don't get a response I'll still fill out my paper census. But I'll do
it using such illegible writing that it'll be a waste of their time.

--
Bobbie the Triple Killer is at http://members.shaw.ca/bobbie4/index.htm
Today's posting comes via the numbers 0 & 1, Suse 10.0 and Pan Newsreader.