Re: [News] Analyst: Vista Security "Self-Defeating"

> Windows Vista - not so clear afterall
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Yankee Group has said "quite a bit of work" remains to be done to the
> | Windows Vista interface, judging by the currently available beta, and
> | advised customers to wait for up to year after the operating system
> | ships before using Windows Vista.
> `----
>
>         http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/05/09/windows_vista_clarity/

Although the advice here is sound (I myself wouldn't touch Microsoft
Windows Vista with a ten-meter pole), the Yankee Group is a doubtful
source of information of any kind.

So is this guy, Rob Enderle, but I find myself agreeing somewhat with
him here:

   http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=111189&source=NLT_LIN&nlid=40

   Desktop Linux Is Still on the Outside Looking In
   Shortcomings limit open-source software's appeal versus Windows

   . . .  (snipped the parts I think are bullshit)

   But Rob Enderle, principal analyst at Enderle Group in San Jose,
   disagreed with that contention. "You can't out-resource Microsoft or
   outcompete them," he said, noting that PC vendors turn a profit
   installing Windows on their systems because of all the money
   Microsoft gives them from its marketing slush fund.

   Microsoft also provides plenty of softer incentives to PC vendors,
   including sales support at large accounts, engineering assistance and
   help in making the drivers for peripherals work properly.

   On the other hand, many PC makers dislike Linux because it doesn't
   sport a track record of encouraging users to upgrade their computers
   in regular three-year cycles, as Windows does, Enderle said.

   "The PC guys live on churn, and Linux doesn't really change enough
   for them," he said. "That's theoretically good for IT managers, who
   would keep employees on the same hardware for nine years if they
   could. But it's bad for [hardware vendors]."

Now cue DFS and Erik Funkenbusch to declare that Enderle is simply lying
like they claim we are.

--
Tux rocks!