Re: Plastic Films for PPC LCDs

  • Subject: Re: Plastic Films for PPC LCDs
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 May 2006 12:13:03 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.comp.sys.palmtops
__/ [ spamroc ] on Tuesday 09 May 2006 22:39 \__

> Ramon wrote:
>
>> Do a lot of people use these things? Is it worth the trouble placing and
>> removing them everytime. I worry that the stress to the LCD everytime you
>> put and remove them might do more dmage to the screen...
>>
>> Cheers,
>>

> I have found it worthwhile, and am glad I have done with my last 5
> PDA's.  I have only had to put one on, and have left it on.  My current
> Zire 71 has had the same one for about 2 years now, and is only starting
> to show some marks in the graffiti area (which I am glad were not
> wearing the underlying glass, although it would hold up better).

The wear on the underlying glass was a big issue with the M130 that I used
to have. Before I began to protect it (using a layer of duct tape), it had
been  accumulating scratches and lost its smooth feel. The duct tape (only
covering  the  Graffiti area) gave that 'stickiness' which  resembles  the
touch of a paper and made interaction with the surface much better. I have
used  a  Tungsten  for over a year and a half and I must  admit  that  the
feedback  from the glass, which is protected by some new type of layer, is
much  better  than  that of the predecessor. I have not used  any  plastic
films  and  the  screen is almost in mint condition. One wonders  if  that
business  of selling plastic films dates back to the Pilots and M500's. It
no longer seems to be necessary at all.

> Another benefit is that the screen protector eliminates the much more
> slippery feel of the glass - I for one like that slight resistance that
> keeps me from being even sloppier with the writing/marking action.

True.... although I am not sure about the newer models where one layer is
flexible and there is no direct touch with a hard glass.

> Also, the glare reduction is generally helpful in viewing the screen.
>
> FWIW,
> ROC

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz
 12:05pm  up 12 days 19:02,  8 users,  load average: 0.98, 0.89, 0.69