Re: Ubuntu Dapper to Offer 3 Desktop Environments

__/ [ Da'Punk-A ] on Wednesday 10 May 2006 07:30 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> __/ [ Da'Punk-A ] on Monday 08 May 2006 22:07 \__

>> > Um, why's this noteworthy? The ubuntu/kubuntu/xubuntu trifecta has been
>> > been SOP for quite a while... I'm currently running the xubuntu-desktop
>> > version of Breezy Badger, and it sure ain't a new development.
>>

>> The source which I cited was not a good one. I thought the exact same
>> thing when I initially read it. Seen this one this morning...
>>
>> http://dot.kde.org/1147097810/ (see picture in the article)
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | At LinuxTag on Saturday, a meeting of Kubuntu and KDE contributors was
>> | held in order to improve the collaboration of both projects. The aim was
>> | to to talk about the common future of both projects. Jonathan Riddell
>> | and Mark Shuttleworth from Canonical attended the meeting. Later in
>> | his keynote speech to the conference, Mark publicly committed to
>> | Kubuntu as an essential product for Canonical and showed his commitment
>> | by wearing a KDE t-shirt.
>> `----
>>
>> KDE.News is usually quiet, dormant, and fairly inactive. This was seen as
>> enough of a milsetone to be noteworthy. Ubuntu is probably the
>> fastest-growing distro out there.
>>

>> > There must be much more interesting things to say about Dapper other
>> > than it's being released in the same desktop versions as its
>> > predecessors.
>>

>> Its release also deviated from the standard release cycle, which I believe
>> remains 6 months.
>
> Yeah, Dapper was due April, but galloping featuritis led to a 2 month
> extension (according to Ubuntuforums.org).

Shuttleworth announced a 6-week delay at the time. I guess another fortnight
of delays preceded that.

> Just hope Dapper xubuntu
> will still be kool on my steam-powered laptop.

Go buy some coal. Buy a big shovel as well. It might require it. *smile*

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Linux: most popular O/S, yet not most widespread
  7:25am  up 12 days 14:22,  8 users,  load average: 0.67, 0.75, 0.71