Re: Xfce 4.4 beta 1 (4.3.90.1) released

  • Subject: Re: Xfce 4.4 beta 1 (4.3.90.1) released
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 09 May 2006 17:21:52 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ BearItAll ] on Tuesday 09 May 2006 13:18 \__

> Linonut wrote:
>
>> http://www.xfce.org
>>
>> I loaded it using this binary installer (configures and builds inside a
>> GUI wrapper):

Bear is right. This needs some context.

http://www.xfce.org/

For direct download:

,----[ Command ]
| wget http://tinyurl.com/ltj49
`----

For offline reading:

,----[ Command ]
`----

>> It's pretty nice, and includes a better-working version of Terminal
>> (including a pretty nifty translucence/image feature), and
>> a new file manager called Thunar, which I haven't yet tried.

Translucency in xfce? Doesn't that beat the purpose or conflicts with the
idealogy and intent of fit/scale?

>> The taskbar app has been folded into the panel app, which itself now
>> supports more than one panel, and each panel can be pared down to a
>> single item, and be made freely movable.
>>
>> The desktop now supports icons (a feature I don't really care about).

This strikes a nerve as I don't care for them either. I use to be the very
opposite  --  a desktop plagued with as many objects as possible (like  my
Web  browser  at  the moment). Ever since the transition,  my  desktop  is
virtually  clean with the exception of kgpg, system monitor and mail  tray
notifier, which consume just 30x100 pixels combined. All else (including 6
panels)  is  automatically hidden. Less clutter, more keyboard  shortcuts,
and   more  mouse  gestures.  More  real  estate  and   fewer  unnecessary
distractions.

>> Seems like a nice upgrade so far.
>>

> oops. I'm sure it was just an accident linonut, but you put the link
> directly to a download.
>
> New Linux users might not think to check that their machines are to spec or
> that they are downloading the correct version.
>
> The link for those wanting to look at this is http://www.xfce.org

For what it's worth and for "New Linux users" as you mentioned, there is
the possibility of combining this light-weight environment with an exce-
llent Linux distribution -- an 'of of the box' experience:

http://www.xubuntu.org/

Only yesterday(/the day before yesterday),  Mark Shuttleworth  announced
the approach to this team of developers:

                LinuxTag: Ubuntu offers three desktops
                http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/72823

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz
  5:05pm  up 12 days  0:02,  7 users,  load average: 0.48, 0.60, 0.56