Re: EU in quandary on new action against Microsoft

  • Subject: Re: EU in quandary on new action against Microsoft
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 09 May 2006 17:06:10 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx ] on Tuesday 09 May 2006 16:04 \__

> " BRUSSELS (Reuters) - Microsoft's new Vista operating system has put
> the European Commission in a quandary on whether to open a new front
> against the software giant before a court clarifies the EU antitrust
> watchdog's authority.
>
> <snippage />
>
> "Then there is Internet search engine firm Google. The new version of
> Microsoft's Internet Explorer has a built-in Window to take computer
> buyers to a search engine.
>
> "Microsoft says it is up to computer makers, which distribute nine out
> of every 10 copies of Windows sold, to decide whether that Window
> should take users to Microsoft's MSN search engine, or some other.

http://today.reuters.com/business/newsArticle.aspx?type=ousiv&storyID=2006-05-09T134758Z_01_L09632320_RTRIDST_0_BUSINESSPRO-MICROSOFT-EU-DC.XML

On the latter paragraph:

        I  can  recall stories about how Microsoft threatened** Compaq  when  they
decided to bundle Netscape with their Windows-based workstations. Besides,
why  should  anyone be forced to /download/*** Mozilla,  Mozilla  Firefox,
Opera,  Netscape  or  one of the other Web browsers while one  is  already
planted  in the distribution? Worst of all, it is highly insecure for  its
very  existence and cannot be uninstalled. Even Dell in the UK****  cannot
get  rid  of  that  grabage, which Microsoft recently  admitted  could  be
separated  and  dropped.  This in itself was evidence that  they  lied  in
court. Outrageous.

This  all turned out to be just the tip of the iceberg. The big wave  that
Microsoft  failed  to foresee (Web services and applications), as well  as
static  media, can be won by pre-bundling, which is just a variant of  the
'embrace,  extend, and extinguish' strategy. Before you know it,  Internet
Explorer  will incorporate search features that are only workable with MSN
search. Just wait. You'll see......

Best wishes,

Roy

** Broken deals, no kickbacks and other under-the-table executive politics.

*** Most probably, but not necessarily, using a Web browser

**** They sell all their computers with Firefox bundled (possibly required
the Mozilla Foundation to pay)

--
Roy S. Schestowitz      |    GPL'd Reversi: http://othellomaster.com