Re: Fixing text size

  • Subject: Re: Fixing text size
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 07 May 2006 08:30:18 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.html
__/ [ Barbara de Zoete ] on Sunday 07 May 2006 05:48 \__

> On Sun, 07 May 2006 02:41:48 +0200, Michael Laplante
> <nowhereman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> I've replaced a page title -- formerly a graphic to maintain text size --
>> with actual text. However, I don't want this title to re-size
>> dramatically should a user change the font size in their browser.
>> A little is okay, a lot no.
>>
>> #Opagetitle

{position:absolute;z-index:6;visibility:visible;text-align:left;left:210px;top:175px;width:438px;height:24px;font-family:
>> sans-serif;font-size: 18px;font-style: normal;font-weight:bold;color:
>> #000080;}
>>
>> The above is in my stylesheet. In FF though, changing the font size via
>> ctrl key causes pagetitle to change size dramatically. In IE, there is
>> no change in text size -- it seems to respect the fixed pixel size where
>> FF won't.

For Firefox: it's a feature, not a bug. the /USER/ is in charge.

For IE: it's a known bug, not a feature. Zooming in IE is notorious and a
friend of mine who is 77 moved to Firefox partly due to that factor.

>> What to do?
>
> Accept it? It may come as a surprise to you, but to many people the
> ability to control font size in their browser is a blessing. Don't try to
> set a fixed font at all.
> BTW: you might rethink your use of #Opagetitle. It looks to me like you
> really want that bit of text to be the main heading in your page. For that
> you should use h1.

Taking  zooming into account when designing Web page is a bad idea. What I
mean  to say is this: assume nothing about font size, but *do* ensure that
increase  in font size does not obstruct, e.g. text 'leaking' outside  the
screen.  Forget  about aesthetics, which should not lead to  accessibility
being  compromised.  Assume normal (unzoomed) fonts, which would  probably
cover  over  90% of the visitors (depending how big/miniscule  your  fonts
are, by default).

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Community is code, code is community
  8:25am  up 9 days 15:22,  12 users,  load average: 0.50, 0.87, 0.69