Re: [News] Microsoft Cuddles with Open Source?

  • Subject: Re: [News] Microsoft Cuddles with Open Source?
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 06 May 2006 06:01:43 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy

__/ [ Mathew P. ] on Friday 05 May 2006 21:14 \__

> On 2006-05-04, Roy Schestowitz spake thusly:
>> The article is much broader than that, but notice the opening
>> paragraphs/foreword.
>>
>> Open-source software: A leap of faith?
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| WE HAVE all heard the buzz surrounding the open-source movement that
>>| is progressively gaining momentum throughout the IT world.
>>|
>>| This is especially evident by the surprise move by propriety software
>>| giant Microsoft Corp, when it forged a partnership with JBoss, an
>>| open-source software development company.
>>|
>>| The deal involves making JBoss' Java application server software work
>>| better in the Microsoft Windows environment.
>>|
>>| But it also shows us an example of how far open-source has come in this
>>| propriety software dominated world of ours.
>> `----
>
> I think it sounds more like "It shows just how far microsoft will go
> to find a way to turn open source software into proprietary software
> while eventually absorbing the company creating it".

The vision no longer seems all that absurd...

http://schestowitz.com/Amusement/images/microsoft-linux.jpg

Microsoft will adapt to change or die. Whether it evolves into an Open Source
vendor and open-source Vista (Dvorak's insanity), who knows? I don't think
there's a law preventing this from becoming a reality, as sad as that makes
me.

Best wishes,

Roy

- --
Roy S. Schestowitz      |    $> apt-get -not windows
  6:00am  up 8 days 12:57,  12 users,  load average: 0.63, 0.46, 0.47