Re: Woo hoo, wireless!

  • Subject: Re: Woo hoo, wireless!
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 06 May 2006 04:46:58 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Saturday 06 May 2006 03:00 \__

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, John Bailo
> <jabailo@xxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Fri, 05 May 2006 17:50:40 -0700
> <jbCdnehwdbl9b8bZRVn-uQ@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> Linonut wrote:
>>> My daughter's law school essentially requires a wireless card, so I
>>
>> We might see more of that.  I mean, who wants to maintain wires when you
>>   can set up a single router on a street light outside the dorm room.
>
> I sure hope that the protocols aren't susceptible to eavesdropping
> attacks.  There's also an intriguing variant of the "man-in-the-middle";
> a wireless provider might be nice -- or nasty.
>
> Me, I'm a wired man.

Depending on what you do, it can be harmless. For the (wo)man that checks
some  Hotmail account on occasions, there is no much  to be lost. To  the
Webmaster who uses plain ol' ASCII-mode FTP, this could lead to disaster.
That  said,  you'd have to live in a  certain _type_ of  neighbourhood to
become apprehensive for this.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Download Othello: http://othellomaster.com
  4:40am  up 8 days 11:37,  12 users,  load average: 1.45, 1.55, 1.47