Re: Chi Square

__/ [ Ray Koopman ] on Tuesday 09 May 2006 22:33 \__

> Ike wrote:
>> Can someone explain to me the relationship between the chi square
>> distribution and the chi square test?
>>
>> Thanks, Ike
>
> The chi square distribution is a mathematically-defined theoretical
> distribution. A chi square test is a hypothesis-testing procedure --
> and there are lots of them; there is no such thing as "the" chi square
> test -- in which the sampling distribution of the test statistic (the
> "chi square" statistic that you calculate from the data) approximates
> the mathematical chi square distribution if the hypothesis is true.

What a coincidence. I am working on this aspect of statistics at this very
moment, for the duration of just a few days. I find your explanation one
which was definitely worth reading, Ray.

For what it's worth, here are some links I have gathered in the past 2 days:

http://www.itl.nist.gov/div898/handbook/eda/section3/eda35f.htm

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Chi-SquaredDistribution.html

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/ChiDistribution.html

MATLAB Implementation of the test:

http://homepage.mac.com/samchops/ROTHMAN/COURSES/STA342/S2006/matlab.html

Hope it helps somebody else,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useless fact: There are five regular polyhedra
 11:05am  up 14 days 18:02,  9 users,  load average: 1.24, 0.88, 0.68