Re: [News] Vista Bugs Bounty Hunt Begins

__/ [ Linonut ] on Saturday 13 May 2006 15:35 \__

http://news.com.com/2100-1016_3-6071924.html?part=rss&tag=6071924&subj=news

>> Only $100 per bug for a project of that scale?!?! Oh, well. I guess there
>> is a limited budget of one billion dollars on that bug hunt...
>
> It's like that Dilbert cartoon of a few years back, where the PHB offers
> $10 per bug-fix, and the whole staff gets excited as they realize they
> can add straw-man bugs and fix them for cash.  Wally screams
> "I'm gonna code me a Winnebago!"
>
> Now we know the secret!

The same arguments could be made with regards to OneCare (AKA Wanker). When
Microsoft compete for the market which 'fixes' their own O/S, they must
balance their desire to protect it and the desire to make it fragile yet
patchable/defensible.

It might be worth mentioning that AV vendors used to unleash virii (sic) onto
the wild and then offer the elixir. You talk about bounty? I talk about
/ransom/.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "On the eighth day, God toppled Ballmer"
http://Schestowitz.com  |  GNU is Not UNIX  ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
  3:35pm  up 15 days 22:32,  12 users,  load average: 0.19, 0.37, 0.50