Re: [News] Vista Bugs Bounty Hunt Begins

Op Sat, 13 May 2006 15:39:50 +0100, schreef Roy Schestowitz:

> __/ [ Linonut ] on Saturday 13 May 2006 15:35 \__
>
>> After takin' a swig o' grog, Roy Schestowitz belched out this bit o'
>> wisdom:
>>
>>> Bounty for Vista coders who squish bugs at home
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]

>>> `----
>>>

> http://news.com.com/2100-1016_3-6071924.html?part=rss&tag=6071924&subj=news
>>>
>>> Only $100 per bug for a project of that scale?!?! Oh, well. I guess there
>>> is a limited budget of one billion dollars on that bug hunt...
>>
>> It's like that Dilbert cartoon of a few years back, where the PHB offers
>> $10 per bug-fix, and the whole staff gets excited as they realize they
>> can add straw-man bugs and fix them for cash.  Wally screams
>> "I'm gonna code me a Winnebago!"
>>
>> Now we know the secret!
>
> The same arguments could be made with regards to OneCare (AKA Wanker).
> When Microsoft compete for the market which 'fixes' their own O/S, they
> must balance their desire to protect it and the desire to make it
> fragile yet patchable/defensible.

No problem there for them then. Employee motivation is at an all-time low,
and apparently, they have more managers, marketeers and lawyers running
around now than coders (read: the only people who actually produce
something). This situation is a dead sure guarantee that crappy code will
continue to issue forth from Redmond; then they only have to sell people
the right to use some other crappy Wanker-code, which pretends to fix the
crappy code the customer paid for in the first place, to keep the crapware
roulette wheel turning. The only problem will arise when people start to
realize that there are no winning numbers.

> It might be worth mentioning that AV vendors used to unleash virii (sic)

Why the use the this plural? It's plain wrong. Or is it a quote?

> onto the wild and then offer the elixir. You talk about bounty? I talk
> about /ransom/.

Offering paid "protection" from bad things caused by the same party is
called "racketeering", and most organized criminal gangs do it sooner or
later - and it's actually quite amazing that Microsoft hasn't tried this
before. Oh wait, they have ...

Richard Rasker

--
Linetec Translation and Technology Services

http://www.linetec.nl/