Re: [News] Vista Bugs Bounty Hunt Begins

__/ [ rapskat ] on Saturday 13 May 2006 18:42 \__

http://news.com.com/2100-1016_3-6071924.html?part=rss&tag=6071924&subj=news

>> Only $100 per bug for a project of that scale?!?! Oh, well. I guess
>> there is a limited budget of one billion dollars on that bug hunt...
>
> If any other proof was needed as to why Open Source Software development
> model is vastly superior to the proprietary, commercial closed model -
> this has *got* to be it.

See  my answer to Linonut. In hindsight, I forgot to mention a key  point:
In close-source development models, there are less eyes watching the code.
Open Source is the very contrary to this. That's a guaranteed fact if your
code is almost as popular as Windows, e.g. Apache, Firefox.

The  ability of a developer to deliberately leave a bug or a loophole  and
tact  and  then  compile  to binary (eq. sweep  under  capret)  is  vastly
degraded  in  Open  Source  development. What's more,  the  code  must  be
properly structured and documented. Along with the executables, there will
remain this public 'artwork', which is the code. Nobody likes to project a
mess and obscure code is nothing to brag about.

> Though it does answer a long standing question as to why Windows is so
> buggy...apparently because there just wasn't enough incentive for the
> developers to fix it.  Reminds me of that scene from "Office Space".

The  one where that dude won't fix the millennium bug for ages? Or pretend
it's  harder  than  it truly is just to earn some more  time  (*space*  to
breathe)? I liked that film very much. I had a job interview the following
day.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Far away from home, robots build people"
  4:05am  up 16 days 11:02,  11 users,  load average: 0.22, 0.38, 0.43