Re: [News] Internet Explorer Share Keeps Sliding

begin  oe_protect.scr
> __/ [ Ray Ingles ] on Friday 12 May 2006 16:16 \__
>
>> On 2006-05-12, Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> This can be a reflectant of operating system shares, as well.
>>>
>>> http://www.onestat.com/html/aboutus_pressbox42_microsoft_internet_
>>> explorer_has_slightly_increased.html
>>
>>  The story does bear out your summary, but I did a doubletake on the
>> 'headline' in the URL. Exact opposite of the actual story.
>
> The page <title>, which contains a typo, does not lie in agreement with the
> article's title which is: "Global usage share Microsoft Internet Explorer
> has slightly decreased according to OneStat.com"
>
> In case it matters at all, see a poll:
>
> IE 7 won?t stop Firefox growth say users
>
> Wednesday, 10 May 2006
>
> ,----[ Quote]
>| A poll of internet users indicates the prevailing view is that the
>| Mozilla Firefox browser will continue to take market share off
>| Microsoft, despite the impending release of its vastly improved
>| Internet Explorer 7 browser.
>|
>| An iTWire poll taken over 40 hours, asked readers the question,
>| "Will IE 7 stop Firefox from taking marketshare from Microsoft?"
>| Of 215 respondents, 175 (81.4% voted No, while just 40 (18.6%) voted
>| yes."
> `----
>
> I wouldn't describe this as a reliable study, but it is still something which
> alleviates worries that IE7 could lead to an IR rebound.

I do think it's just too late for MS now - they've tried to hold
technology in a given state for far far too long - in my 3tech model,
they've tried to stretch out the 'current' technology generation by
a combination of vendor lock-in/monopoly abuse and suppression of
competition.

The problem with this is approach is that it cannot be sustained;  all
the additional time the technology is held in it's 'current' state, the
maturity of competing technologies continues its natural development.
At some point, the <10% cost and at least 1/2 as good will be met in
whatever market/tech segments one chooses.

Once the new technology has emerged, it will not be possible to stop it
- the price/capability combination is too compelling.

"I'd love to go out with you, but I did my own thing and now I've got
to undo it."