Re: Linux on Old Laptops

__/ [ Rex Ballard ] on Friday 19 May 2006 23:02 \__

> Quick Recap
>
> He has a nice Linux-friendly laptop
>    - with a 10 gigabyte hard drive,
>      but Windows is taking up 8 gigabytes.
>    - He had about 1.8 gigabytes left.

Before some space leaks take their toll and scandisk.exe supposedly 'saves
the day(=space)'.

> He only used "Free" versions,
>     - none of the commercially supported versions.
>     - Complined about OpenSuse because it didn't have the Prism2
> driver.

Either he is a miser, or he simply prefers to demonstrate what is achievable
in a [free-as-in-free-beer] distro. He might not contribute anything in
return, apart from this article.

> The funny thing is that he was able to like
>     - two distributions (OpenSUSE and Gentoo)
>
> Gentoo only installed up to shell, then he installed the rest (X11,
> desktop, gui apps).
>
> Things have certainly changed.

In what sense? You sure know better than me. *smile*

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useless fact: Brazil spans 47.8% of S. America
http://Schestowitz.com  |  GNU is Not UNIX  ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
  6:50am  up 22 days 13:47,  11 users,  load average: 0.12, 0.37, 0.58