Re: Kicker panel never hides

__/ [ RoLopezb ] on Friday 19 May 2006 16:37 \__

> Hi,
>
> I was running KDE release 3.5.2-3.0.el4.kde on a CentOS4 Linux
> distribution, kernel  2.6.9-22.EL. I had installed everything from this
> distribution and after that I updated to the last Kde version (3.5.2)
> from the KDE Packaging project and everything was fine; in particular,
> using the "Panels" option of the Settings menu I chose to automatically
> hide it and it worked as expected.

Before you moved on to a KDE release which is not stable or before something
went titsup *smile*. This is not the first time that a KDE 3.5.2 is reported
in this newsgroups.

> Saddly enogh, I had to reinstall all the system but now:
>   - I installed only some of the CentOS 4 rpm packages.
>   - I upgraded again to the last KDE release (3.5.2 .)
>
> And now I don't manage to hide the panel by any means:
>   - I don't see the hide button on the panel.
>   - Doing "right click" on the panel and choosing "configure panel" I
> get into the "Configure task bar" GUI.
>   - Using kcontrol I manage to get into the "configure panel" GUI but I
> can't do anything because it is empty:
>      - Only the "Help" and "Defaults" buttons are enabled.
>      - I cannot see any other controls on the screen: no tabs, no
> icons,..., nothing.

Very odd, indeed. Have you submitted this as a bug report yet. If not, I urge
you to do so.

http://bugs.kde.org/

The empty panels or objects that do not fit the panel are good indication of
a bug. Did you notice any errors when compiling the latest of KDE?

> What am I missing?
> Is there any way to write a few characters in a configuration file to
> automatically hide the panel?

In KDE 3.4, I am looking at:

roy@linux:~/.kde/share/config> fgrep panel * -R
kdeglobalsKYl0Wb.new:Recent
URLs=$HOME/.kde/share/apps/korganizer/,$HOME/Main/BU/251022005/Main/Programs/PC-Side/PDA/Palm_Archive/Palm
Applications/volleyball/,$HOME/Desktop/Storage/,$HOME/pr/,$HOME/public_html/,$HOME/.kde/share/apps/kthememanager/themes/My
Theme/wallpapers/panel/,$HOME/pr/12/
kickerrc:ConfigFile=minipager_panelapplet_ikmmn9e7f46bhdm9sibp_rc
kickerrc:ConfigFile=kpf_panelappletrc
kickerrc:ConfigFile=ktimemon_panelappletrc
kickerrc:ConfigFile=kasbar_panelextensionrc
kickerrc:ConfigFile=taskbar_panelextensionrc
kickerrc:DesktopFile=childpanelextension.desktop

Descending into taskbar_panelextensionrc, for example, I find:

[General]
Alignment=1
AutoHideDelay=3
AutoHidePanel=true
AutoHideSwitch=false
BackgroundHide=false
CustomSize=200
ExpandSize=true
HideAnimation=true
HideAnimationSpeed=40
Position=1
ShowLeftHideButton=false
ShowRightHideButton=true
Size=1
SizePercentage=54
UnhideLocation=6
XineramaScreen=0

I hope some of the above gives insight into how the settings for auto-hide
get stored.

> Any help is welcome!
>
> Thanks,
>
>      RoLopezb

Hope it helps,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Free 3-D Othello: http://othellomaster.com
  5:00pm  up 21 days 23:57,  11 users,  load average: 1.24, 1.16, 0.87