Re: US military is blocking Slashdot and SourceForge.net

__/ [ Jamie Hart ] on Friday 19 May 2006 12:40 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> __/ [ Tim Smith ] on Friday 19 May 2006 05:39 \__
>>
>>> Where does that say free software is subversive?
>>
>> It doesn't say so explicitly, but it's a matter of putting 2 and 2
>> together. It is evident that the US Military perceives free software as
>> 'advrse to its interests'. The mind boggles. How much OSS does the US
>> Military actually use? I know for a fact that they use it (yay). To take
>> and then not only refuse to give in return (boo), but to ridicule and
>> suppress too???
>>
> Roy,
>
> I think you're looking at this the wrong way.  The Military needs to
> tightly control what software is used on it's computers, so they have a
> policy that people cannot install other software.
>
> That is perfectly reasonable.

But _slashdot_? It seems like they discourage workers from being exposed to
'that other philosophy/paradim'?

> As part of this, they're blocking access to websites where people can
> download other software.  Again, perfectly reasonable.  Where
> Sourceforge and other OSS sites fit in is that they are sites where
> people can download software.
>
> Personally, I see no problem with it.

That makes sense as a general rule. Thanks for pointing that out and
correcting me.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useless fact: Brazil spans 47.8% of S. America
 12:45pm  up 21 days 19:42,  10 users,  load average: 0.76, 0.44, 0.43