Re: US Military Blocks Access to Open Source Sites

__/ [ Da'Punk-A ] on Friday 19 May 2006 12:21 \__

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> US military is blocking Slashdot and SourceForge.net
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | I was told recently that Air Force bases in the San Antonio, Texas, area
>> | are blocking one or more of our sister OSTG sites, like SourceForge.net,
>> | Slashdot.org, or Freshmeat.net...
>> |
>> | The bottom line, courtesy of Air Force spokesperson Captain David W.
>> | Small, is that the Air Force does "block Web sites to restrict use of
>> | the Web to official business and in accordance with specific guidance
>> | in AFIs."
>> `----
>>
>> http://trends.newsforge.com/article.pl?sid=06/05/17/2040239&from=rsr4
>
> I seem to remember reading somewhere (in this NG probably) that FOSS is
> part of a communist plot.  So blocking Slashdot etc from military
> computers makes perfect sense.  Anyone else noticed the similarity
> between Fidel and Linus?

You ought to be thinking Stallman, not Linus.

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0596002874.01._SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

That aside, I don't foresee Stallman wearing bland olive shirts any time
soon. I might as well correlate this to Web censorship in China: Democracy
being one point; another being FOSS. The Chinese used to block (probably
still are) the WordPress Codex, which is intended to help people contribute
to this Open Source blogging (so-called "Open Source media") software.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |   Useless fact: Women blink twice as much as men
 12:20pm  up 21 days 19:17,  10 users,  load average: 0.93, 0.61, 0.68