Re: [News] China Government Shows Interest in Open Source

__/ [ The Ghost In The Machine ] on Thursday 18 May 2006 23:00 \__

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Thu, 18 May 2006 16:47:38 +0100
> <7724560.j02VOBRLjv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> China looks to open-source community for advice
>
> Want some advice, China?  STOP CENSORING THE INTERNET!  :-) ;-) :-)

They are set to have their own Wikipedia now. Speaking of community...

Censoring vile Internet content is one thing, but an _encyclopedia_? Are they
running away from a reality rather than views? The government over there has
gone one step too far and Google, if I may add, play along. Other search
engines are no exception. A couple of days ago, the news sites were filled
with announcements about Google bringing 'search' to mobile phones in China.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/05/18/78442_HNchinaopensource_1.html?source=rss&url=http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/05/18/78442_HNchinaopensource_1.html

> Hmmm.  Wonder what they're on about here?  I'll admit it might be nice
> to improve X, Gtk, and Qt for proper display of Asian (including Arabic
> and Hebrew) characters.  X applications aren't as good as they could be
> in handling lines that go down as opposed to rightward or leftward. ;-)
>
> (I doubt Windows is much better.)

For what it's worth, Ubuntu can handle Hebrew just fine. Seen that before.
The locales come with the Ubuntu 5 installer. I can't say the same about
Windows, which requires(ed) an Hebrew-enabled version, developed by
Microsoft overseas. Palm OS likewise. Internationalisation is excellent in
Linux, in contrast to common belief. Unicode is one thing that Access Linux
on Palm devices is likely to bring upon the community.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |   Microsoft's Counter-Supportive Evangelist (MCSE)
 12:00pm  up 21 days 18:57,  10 users,  load average: 1.00, 0.88, 0.79