Re: [News] A GNOME versus KDE Debate Revived

On Thu, 18 May 2006 05:28:02 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> __/ [ TheLetterK ] on Thursday 18 May 2006 00:53 \__
>
>> On Wed, 17 May 2006 18:36:57 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>>
>>> Taking a Linus-like Attitude Towards Gnome
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]

>>> `----
>>>

> http://www.oreillynet.com/linux/blog/2006/05/taking_a_linuslike_attitude_to.html?CMP=OTC-0O724Z062301&ATT=Taking+a+Linus-like+Attitude+Towards+Gnome
>>
>> I strongly disagree. I've used KDE, and was happy to go back to GNOME
>> after that trial.
>
> I  have used both, but I prefer KDE. Not because it's Windows-esqe, that's
> for sure. I love the power of KDE, whereas I yearn for many vital features
> in  GNOME. There are a few features that GNOME boasts and KDE has not  got
> implemented yet. I pointed these out in the KDE newsgroup, but never filed
> a wishlist bug report.

My main problem with KDE is that it doesn't really seem to be as
consistent or as easy to use as GNOME. It may have some extra features,
but I don't generally care about them. That, and I also greatly prefer
Nautilus to Konqueror (or any other file manager, really).

A lot of it probably has to do with familiarity as well (I've used GNOME
since 2002, whereas my use of KDE was for about two months).

> Overall,  the 'clickcount approach' makes perfect sense to me, although
> it leads  to a very _gross_ and imprecise measure. Example: when I pose
> news items to COLA, here is what I do:

The time taken to click a mouse button is negligible compared to the time
taken figuring out what you need to do.