Re: Google Web Toolkit

__/ [ asj ] on Thursday 18 May 2006 02:39 \__

> xbox360.wanker@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> It's only a matter of time before microsoft is an also ran or a
>> footnote in the history books with Google dominating computer in the
>> future.
>
> well, i wouldn't bet on that until we see more, but google is making
> some good moves.

It retains good momentum and more services will come our way, which obviate
the need for desktop-bound software. That's a prime aim. Snatch users from
their O/S and bundled suites onto some Web services. I am not suggesting
that they will eradiate desktop software, but look at their pulling of
desktop search onto the network in Google Desktop 3 and 4. In the future:
just boot some hardware from Flash and connect to Web services. Linux deems
a suitable contender because of security, cost, and... Firefox.

> and It looks like Google is betting on the web and the hype of AJAX
> too.

Definitely.

> If you'd like to build stuff like Google Maps they just released a Java
> software development framework that allows you to do just that (with
> some cool examples and demos):

That has been available for almost 6 months.

> Google Web Toolkit - Build AJAX apps in the Java language
> http://code.google.com/webtoolkit/

They have a beta version for GNU/Linux now.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz
  4:40am  up 20 days 11:37,  9 users,  load average: 1.17, 0.93, 0.72