Re: [News] Open Source Used in Windows Computer Cluster Server

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Wednesday 17 May 2006 09:33 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> __/ [ Roy Culley ] on Tuesday 16 May 2006 23:58 \__
>>
>>> begin  risky.vbs
>>> <1257378.x7IasulnGx@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,

>>> Hmm, 1st time they have used OSS as a crucual part of the system? What
>>> about when they used a BSD TCP/IP stack?
>>
>> Sometimes, you have got to learn from the best. *smile* Or just buy it
>> off...
>>
>> This lies in adversity to  Microsoft's arguments that  Open Source is
>> poorly
>> implemented, or "a cancer", as Ballmer would put it.  Microsoft cannot
>> brag about programmer competancy either. Fortunately, Roy, they did not
>> implement their *own* TCP/IP stack, which otherwise, they would have...
>
> It's not clear to me just what open source software microsoft are using
> here.  The MPI forum seems to produce standards documents, not code, but
> perhaps I've  missed something.  MS did say that they would be returning
> changes back to the 'project' but again, I can't see what that really
> means.

To put things amongst some context, Open Source reigns in supercomputing. If
Microsoft does not play nice, the barrier to the backroom will not be
raised. They have joined the whole Open Document consortium-thingy (can't
recall the official name) only to derail, detract, and subvert it to their
advantage.

> I suspect that this could be more of a publicity stunt than any real OSS
> work.

^^

You have just defined "Port 25".

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Linux: the most popular, but not most widespread
 11:45am  up 19 days 18:42,  8 users,  load average: 0.39, 0.42, 0.37