Re: Gartner: ISO Approval of ODF is a blow to MS

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Wednesday 17 May 2006 09:37 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> __/ [ B Gruff ] on Tuesday 16 May 2006 14:26 \__
>>
>>> Now there's an interesting take - from Gartner of all people!
>>>
>>> "International standards bodies' unanimous approval of ISO/IEC 26300
>>> moves OASIS OpenDocument Format to being the official XML document
>>> format. It is now unlikely that ISO will adopt Microsoft's Open XML
>>> document format"
>>>
>>> Search for G00140101 on:-
>>> http://www.gartner.com/
>>
>> Thanks, Bill. Excellent news, especially since I read in a couple of
>> places that Massachusetts was ready to get lenient and permit the
>> existence of MS XML. Nothing was finalised at the time, but it seemed
>> discouraging. Gartner, of all bodies (a company actually), turn out to be
>> somewhat of a friend:
>>
>> http://www.gartner.com/2_events/conferences/oseu1.jsp
>>

> Well, they've set up an event which exhibitors will be charged for
> exhibiting and visitors will be charged for visiting, and Gartner will
> make a name for itself in the OSS world, at least as far as those CIO
> types who can't recall beyond that last analyst's document...
>
> Still, it's a big move from the 'total criticism' which they were
> pervading;  the lack of vision of most analysts is a little frightening.

Never  forget  that  analysts are fed by companies  with  resources,  like
themselves.  They  perceive  Open  Source as somewhat of  a  threat  where
communities  manage  software  and analysts become  rather  obsolete.  The
client is in charge. The developer has control.

Think  vendors.  They portray and demonstare a similar perspective:  sell,
sell, sell. No matter what people want. Feed the sheep with whatever makes
them  come back asking for more: modern computers (the bigger the better),
RAM,  games,  AV  virus,  commercial  software  (as  opposed  to   RPM/Deb
repositories, ISO's, df.net and fm.net).

In summary, vendors, like analysts, love Microsoft Windows.  The  sufferer
is usually the end user, but what counts to them most is their balance  at
the bank. The user, when disinformed, is left out entirely from this myst-
ifying equation.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: Falsity implies anything
http://Schestowitz.com  |  GNU is Not UNIX  ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
 11:35am  up 19 days 18:32,  8 users,  load average: 0.34, 0.33, 0.34