Re: Linux Servers Can be Over a Decade Old

__/ [ Daeron ] on Tuesday 16 May 2006 16:08 \__

> __/ [ Erik Funkenbusch ] on Tuesday 16 May 2006 15:50 \__
>
> > On Tue, 16 May 2006 15:05:04 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> >
> >> How to run a web server on 11 year old CPU
> >>
> >> ,----[ Quote ]
> >> DamnSmallLinux
> >> `----
> >>
> >> http://digg.com/technology/How_to_run_a_web_server_on_11_year_old_CPU
> >
> > Indeed.  I've even run Windows 2003 on a similar machine...
                       ^^^

Is that the right word? Did you have it crawl into Safe Mode for a game of
Solitaire?

> Indeed not. Can we believe anything you say. Guss just another case of
> more me.too.ism from Microsoft chief usenet fud artist.
>
> -
>
> how many people has Windows killed in that hospital of yours.

Hospital: an easy pick for botmasters; a prime target for zombie attacks.

> >  The ultimate
> > problem with old hardware, though, is failure.  You're much more likely
> > get hardware failures on such old equipment.

With respect, something tells me that your main problem was not failure, but
rather the constant activity, which included 'phoning home', running AV
software, and a bloated, buggy monster which is a Windows XP derivative.
Don't try to fool the entire world. I ran Mandriva (with KDE) on a machine
that was much, much older than the above. It was only tolerable for light
use in conjunction with another machine. It could not serve pages quickly
enough, that's for damn sure. It needed something thinner.

> > After shaving pennies by running my web site on old equipment for years,
> > finally wised up and realized that I was spending more money on
> > replacement
> > equipment and time than I was saving.

Translation: my machine got infected because I couldn't afford to run AV
software, which would drain all the resources. That's how Windows works.
Spyware? Better toss the computer in the bin and buy another one... that's
what the experts say.