Re: [News] Linux Servers Can be Over a Decade Old

On Tue, 16 May 2006 15:05:04 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> How to run a web server on 11 year old CPU
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| I am currently running my PHP/MySql forum along with 3 other databases and
>| my PHP web mail and website on an old Compaq computer. DamnSmallLinux
>| My hardware is: Pentium 1 166mhz 128 MB of RAM 2.1 GB Hard drive 1mb
>| video Net gear MA301 wireless NIC
> `----
>
> http://digg.com/technology/How_to_run_a_web_server_on_11_year_old_CPU

Indeed.  I've even run Windows 2003 on a similar machine.  The ultimate
problem with old hardware, though, is failure.  You're much more likely to
get hardware failures on such old equipment.

After shaving pennies by running my web site on old equipment for years, I
finally wised up and realized that I was spending more money on replacement
equipment and time than I was saving.