Re: Link scam

__/ [ Paul B ] on Tuesday 16 May 2006 13:04 \__

> On Tue, 16 May 2006 12:45:37 +0100, Jez <j.ez@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>>Honestly, to what lows will people stoop?
>>
>>I got an email telling me that I have a link from a fairly decent site,
>>relevant and non spammy BUT asks me to link back to another site. I
>>check my links as this looks suspicious and the link from the first site
>>has been up and recipped for about three years!
>>
>>Some scammer is checking people's back links and trying to trick them
>>into linking to other sites by tempting them with links they already have!
>>
>>Jez.

Consider yourself fortunate.

Some of them are even more intrusive, In persistent use of referrer spam,
they force your site to link back to them. In some cases, they invade your
Wikis, guestbooks, blogs, and even forums. You sometimes feel like you have
a special relationship with the spammer.

For example: for the past 4 months there has been this Chinese guy who kept
spamming one of my Wikis every couple of days. I would say "no" and revert
it back to the old DB state. Overall, I had spent many hours on that bugger
before I locked the Wiki 2 weeks ago. Another such loveaffair involves some
bastard with laptop pages. He keeps messing up my guestbook and I must erase
everything quickly or else I ask for more. That aside, someone broke my
blog's CAPCHA last week and has been hammering hard and flooding since. It
is the first time in a year. I am yet to find a solution... there are still
some Russian banging on phpBB with success and PHP-Nuke likewise. It has
taken over my days... *sigh* E-mail is worse.

> Thanks for the HU Jez.
>
> I had one the other week stating that they found me in google with the
> word "jewellery" ........... i'd like to know how.

This must have been all that bling-bling on your hand, Paul. *smile*

--
Roy S. Schestowitz
  1:20pm  up 18 days 20:17,  8 users,  load average: 0.09, 0.12, 0.07