Re: [News] A World Without Microsoft

__/ [ Mark Kent ] on Wednesday 24 May 2006 21:05 \__

> begin  oe_protect.scr
>> Imagining a day without Microsoft
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| "[Microsoft] didn't establish [its standards] in a nice sort of way, but
>>| they are the basis for a lot of things that we use and do with
>>| computers."
>>|
>>| Today you can send a Word document to anybody in the world and expect
>>| them to be able to open it
>
> Except they can't, can they?  Microsoft Word's current version only runs
> on a small proportion of the hardware out there.  I can't open it on my
> phone, for example.  I can't open current versions on any of my older
> PCs even if they run Windows.
>
> This whole argument is puerile.

*LOL* I didn't even think about it, but you are right. It is a bit like the
Web before good standards were introduced, encouraged, and sometimes even
forced. Accessibility has become a major concern because of Net
dependability, if not neutrality as well.

>> . According to Meadow, it takes forever for people to
>>| agree to these kinds of standards.
>
> Haha!  Would that be because Microsoft don't want a standard, by any
> chance?

When the standards fail (or the non-standard backward-engineered), turn to
DRM. Ask Ballmer. He knows.

>>| Josh Greenbaum, principal at Enterprise Applications Consulting, says,
>>| "Downloads for [StarOffice] would bring the Internet to a screeching
>>| halt."
>> `----
>>
>>         http://www.infoworld.com/article/06/05/23/78519_22OPreality_1.html
>
> By using a standard file format?  Using an office suite that'll run on
> far more architectures and machines than MS Word?  Where do these people
> pull these things from?

[no offence intended] A pea brain and 30 years in journalism. Evidently, it's
their level of /writing/ expertise, but not competence with the issue at
hand, that grants them a voice. I have always loathed it.

Best wishes,

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "The speed of time is one second per second"
 10:30pm  up 27 days  5:02,  12 users,  load average: 1.88, 1.17, 1.02