Re: [News] Linux Appears to Beat All Competitors

  • Subject: Re: [News] Linux Appears to Beat All Competitors
  • From: The Ghost In The Machine <ewill@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 21:00:03 GMT
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
In comp.os.linux.advocacy, John A. Bailo
<jabailo@xxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Tue, 23 May 2006 09:12:21 -0700
<WMGdnboXNLTNqe7ZnZ2dnUVZ_tOdnZ2d@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>> Unix, Linux Mythology Continues to Unfold
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | The problem for Sun and, to a lesser extent, SGI is that for too long,
>> | they competed against a brain trust in Redmond, Wash., and not the
>> | global brain trust that was creating Linux. Therefore, they weren't
>> | prepared for how quickly it undercut their business. Linux has forced
>> | both SGI and Sun to adopt a "we do Linux better" strategy. The word "Unix"
>> | is never uttered.
>> `----
>>
>>         http://www.technewsworld.com/story/50676.html
>
> Microsoft's ultimate goal was to displace UNIX.
>
> The fact that Linux has done that means that Microsoft can only dwindle.

A profit of $33B can hardly be called "dwindling".  Of course, one would
hope that they eventually *do* dwindle, or at least abandon the desktop
marketplace.

(Then again, Linux works in so many other marketplaces Microsoft may
very well find itself surrounded! :-) )

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Windows Vista.  Because it's time to refresh your hardware.  Trust us.