Re: [News] Inquirer: Microsoft XP Sucks for Laptops

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Tue, 23 May 2006 05:28:07 +0100
<1396101.TP9RsZpv77@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Microsoft XP sucks for laptops
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | ONE OF the sad parts of Microsoft's near-total dominance of the PC world
> | - Mac and Linux people, save your gloating for later - is the stifling
> | of innovations.
> `----
>
>                         http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=31880

This probably needs to be a bit more specific, although
I like the scenario of putting data into a USB-capable
key-sized storage device.  (Flash memory has some
minor technical problems as it "wears out", presumably.)
However, there are many security issues with such devices
-- unless one wants to advocate a pat-down search every
time one leaves the building, or wants to add RFIDs to
every USB stick.

The good news: Gentoo doesn't poll for updates unless
asked; neither does Debian.  I don't know about RedHat
Enterprise, SuSE, or other distros.

The bad news: I've yet to find a good open-source
laptop, though efforts are apparently continuing.
http://www.tuxmobil.org (wasn't Mobil an oil
company?) appears to have a reasonably good guide therein.
An HP Pavilion dv8000z will set one back at least $1400 or
so, and apparently most of the bits work with my favorite
Gentoo distribution.  A little pricey for my blood but
not too bad.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Windows Vista.  Because it's time to refresh your hardware.  Trust us.