Re: signatures on websites

  • Subject: Re: signatures on websites
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 14:40:57 +0100
  • Newsgroups: alt.www.webmaster

__/ [ Els ] on Tuesday 23 May 2006 12:41 \__

> freemont wrote:
>
>> What is the general opinion about putting real scans of signatures on
>> clients' websites? Good idea, bad one? Real security risk, or only if
>> you're paranoid? This is a local business, and I'm thinking, jeez the
>> guy's signature is already all over the place. How many bank tellers and
>> secretaries scan your signature every day, etc?
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> The Dutch Chamber of Commerce just announced that because of attempted
> fraud with signatures found on the Internet, they'll obscure the
> signatures on businesses' yearly financial reports from now on.

Well,  for  personal purposes, I put up my signature on my site about  2-3
years  ago. I sometimes just paste it in some documents, so I needed it to
be  accessible  from  everywhere.  I do, however, make  my  PGP  signature
_public_. If you do any business electronically, this might be the answer.
This still requires that the sender/client has a key for signature too, so
there is a two-way verification process. What you think of doing opens the
door  to fraud. I don't make my written signature public, but then  again,
how  hard can it be for a crook to find it? Many cashiers don't even  look
at the signature anyway, so a nice sloppy ribbon might do the trick...

Best wishes,

Roy

- --
Roy S. Schestowitz      | What is all that lipstick in XP's close button?
http://Schestowitz.com  |  GNU is Not UNIX  ¦     PGP-Key: 0x74572E8E
  2:35pm  up 25 days 21:14,  11 users,  load average: 0.77, 0.69, 0.64